Monday, July 21, 2014

Back in Time

Contrary to the following pics of a re-created past (and there are a lot of 'em) we're beginning a new phase of our life as empty nesters. We have vowed to do more "couple" activities and we're fortunate enough to have dear old friends (don't tell them I said old ;) ) who have introduced us to the world of Civil War re-enactments. It was a beautiful day and we began our journey at 8 am.
A true southern belle resting in the shade.
 A demonstration of fashion included these ladies. Seven layers of clothing before donning the final dress. Surprisingly the undergarments kept them cooler than one can imagine and the poor Irish dirt farmer only owned 2-3 dresses in the day.
 The Calvary arriving on the scene for battle.
 A cannon shot....KA-BOOM! I tried to capture this picture without modern people but this person moved 3 times and then stood right in the way of the pic. Oh well...it was still an amazing event.
 Sharp shooters and I'm shocked they didn't get shot due to the time it takes to re-load their guns.
 The 18th Virginia of Imboden's Brigade
 See this guy? His name is Dusty. My friend and I fell in love with him. He and I bonded for over an hour while talking with his soldier. He actually rested his head on my shoulder and slept for awhile. I love horses. Our daughter owned one for many years and while they're a lot of work, they're worth every moment. Something about their warm breathe, beautiful eyes and their distinctive smell (and horse lovers know what I mean) just melts my heart.
We concluded our day enjoying a delicious meal with our friends. They have no idea what it means to us to enjoy this outing and we're looking forward to another re-enactment over my birthday weekend.
P.S. Hubby and I were talking (non-stop) about the day and we have thoughts about present day living compared to 'back then'. I'll reserve that rant for a later post as I want this one to leave you with warm thoughts, reflections and smiles.

1 comment:

Bubblesknits said...

Looks like you had a really good time! I can't imagine having to wear all those layers. I'd melt into a giant puddle of sweat. Lol