Wednesday, April 02, 2014

We don't talk anymore

Remember this? I do. A device with which to hear the voice of a friend or family member. Great technology. Then it evolved to the high-techy stuff of today where people have their heads buried in cell phones waiting for the next 'ding' of their social media drama or text. 
Don't get me wrong, I think the cell phone is a wonderful device when it's not used for social media and texting when one is visiting others. I refuse to upgrade my phone to the 'smart' phone. I do not need internet service when I leave the house. When I leave home, the computer is left behind, sitting quietly and peacefully on the table (it needs to rest ;) )


I miss the old phones. You had no idea who was calling, there were no tele-marketers, and the ring wasn't a bird chirping or an undetectable song.
On the flip side, the cell phone is available for emergencies at all times. For reasons I cannot explain we are on call right now and need to be available at a moment's notice so I am grateful for the cell phone. That said, I challenge everyone to put down the cell phone and interact with people one on one....we don't talk anymore.

And as anyone knows, a knitter can talk and knit at the same time :D. 



1 comment:

SissySees said...

I do believe it's a generation gap. I'm betting ChemGirl only has a cell phone?