Monday, May 11, 2009

Fire & Water

10:39 pm - We retired early due to the previous long night of after-prom chaperone duty.

11:40 p.m. - I awoke to a LOUD pop. I nudged the husband and asked him if he heard the noise. Next thing I knew, The smoke alarm was going off and I could smell something burning.
DD came out of her room asking what was going on and she could smell something burning.

Husband ran downstairs to see if he could find the source. DD and I went to the kitchen/living room area and the living room was filling up with smoke fast. I yelled for the husband.
DD herded Mr. Bettis & Co. outside and I dialed 911. Of course, we were ordered to leave the house.
Our local volunteer fire dept arrived within minutes (they live 1/4 mile from our house). They had just returned from another house fire so they were at the station when our call came in. They and hubby checked the source with a heat sensor and then checked out the electric box.

This was the source of the fire.


The lamp on the stand was plugged into an electric cord. There was a small glass of water on the stand and we figure one of the cats knocked over the glass and the water seeped into the cord plug. Take note that Electric and Water do not mix.

We appreciate our fire company, they dedicate their lives to volunteer their time to protect citizens. So the next time you see a fireman/firewoman give them a big thank you.

On a lighter note: Chan, please tell Sissy that Mr. Bettis thought the men and woman dressed in fire company gear were the greatest company he's ever greeted. He wagged his tail and licked their hands.
Daughter made a joke that she was a little disappointed because there weren't any young good-looking firemen...........LOL

11 comments:

Catherine said...

Thank goodness you had a smoke alarm !!!

smilely said...

And the fun never ends. DH was working in the garden, I heard the tractor then noted he was looking at it. I opened the window, he said it is going to be one of those days. He couldn't till the dirt, it ws too hard due to the rain, and then he blew a hose on the tractor. I off to clean bathrooms, hopefully all will be well. Have a better day.

Grace said...

i thank god it was a minor fire, and the smoke alarm worked, my DH constant tells me when I smell smoke its in my head, and knock on wood so far it has been, at least yours listened!!

Poor Savannah--no cuties!!

Channon said...

Good grief! That's not the kind of news I need first thing in the morning. Thank goodness everything worked as it should, especially with the firefighters already being at the station.

Sissy loves fieldtrips to the firehouse. Gretchen likes them too, but since she's so little, she literally stays on a short leash. Sissy also loves to smell her Dadaw after he's been on a fire call... Mr B just doesn't know what he's missing.

Channon said...

PS - Tell your DD to come visit. We have LOTS of cuties... some are even in an age range you might approve of...

Laura Neal said...

I am so glad that ya'll are alright. That is not a call I want to make, ever!
I bet that big old softie was loving all the company! He is such a cutie!

Bubblesknits said...

So glad it was something minor and that y'all were there when it happened!

Tell your daughter to high tail it to 'Bama. We've got some very good looking FFs down here. ;-)

Anita said...

Oh my gosh!!! Thank God you had smoke alarms & that it wasn't a serious fire! I'm so glad that the fire dept was close by & ready.
Figures that Mr. B would love all the excitement. :)

I'll have to agree with Chan, they do have some cuties at their fire dept, I've met a few of them. :)

Firefly Nights said...

So glad you were at home and the smoke alarm went off. We have friends in Michigan who had a lovely lakeside home. They left for a mid-winter vacation in Mexico and had been gone about a day when a neighbor saw smoke coming from their house. Up there, in the middle of the woods, it takes FOREVER for the volunteer fire department to get there. They lost their whole house and all of their kitties. It was very sad.

monnibo said...

I am so glad you and your family are okay!

Diane said...

OMG!!! What a frightening way to wake up. I'm glad the damage was small and everyone was ok.

Thank God for the volunteer firefighters. My town also has volunteers and when I had a chimney fire a few years back they were here in a flash.