Friday, February 27, 2009

Frugal Living

This post is a mish-mash about frugal living.
I have decided to post frugal tips that I have learned or need to learn.
My grandparents lived through the Great Depression and quite a few wars. My grandmother just turned 89 yrs old last week. My grandfather served in WW 2. So did my father-in-law and I can only say that I hope their service was not in vain.
The saying, "use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without" is necessary in these difficult times.
My grandmother has made it very clear that the turn to go farther in debt will only compound the nation's problems and it is going to get much worse. She has deep concern for future generations given the government's decision to create a HUGE debt. I certainly didn't want to hear this, but my grandmother says it like it is.
I think we all need to listen to the wise elders of this country. Let's give them credit where credit is due, folks. They really do know what they are talking about.

It is necessary for this household to make drastic cut backs and I will be spending a lot of time finding ways to accomplish this task.
I called the cable company and cut back to minimal service. Resulting in a $40 savings per month. I heard a few moans and groans from the other residents in this house but after a few weeks, they have managed to adjust. I am still debating on cutting out cable all together.
Playing games, doing puzzles and of course knitting fills in for sitting like a couch potato.

We have also cut back the trips to town. We go once a week now. So if we missed something on the grocery list. Too bad. Chips, tonic, (yes I said tonic. I told you I live in the Appalachian's.....LOL), cookies etc have been eliminated from the grocery list. Once in a while I need something but I must become resourceful and use the noggin' for something other than a hat rack:).
Here's an example: I needed a pot scrubby. So I crocheted this little ditty from Red Heart yarn. Took me 15 minutes and I had a reuseable pot scrubby. The DH just shook his head, however, after using it he said it was the best scrubby we have ever owned. So it's handmade pot scrubbies from here on out. Just toss them in the washer with your towels and it's ready to be used again. This resulted in a $2.79 savings per month.

We purchase nothing unless it's on sale. I found pork chops at a bargain price. My family prefers Shake 'n Bake but I was out of it. No extra trips to the store resulted in creating my own Shake 'n Bake recipe.



One sleeve of saltine crackers put in a ziploc bag crushed fine
Dash of Paprika
Dash of Garlic powder
Dash of Ground Sage
Add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and shake
Moisten pork chops and shake in the mix. Bake at 425 F until done. The family loved them so I won't be buying pre-made mix anymore. This cost me 36 cents to make vs $2.69 per package.




I am starting on gifts early this year and I finally finished one Leyburn sock. I made these from the top down. Don't ask me why, I have no idea why I didn't do the toe up version.
But I like them and I think they're going to be mine instead of a gift.
I have plenty of time to make gifts. Right?

5 comments:

SissySees said...

And those handmade scrubbies are safe for my teflon-coated cookware, right? (off to rav-stalk)

Thanks for the Shake & Bake recipe. I lurvers me some S&B pork chops.

Bubblesknits said...

Yeah, I can't help but feel like this is the wrong way to go, too. We're trying to get all our bills paid off...just in case. Spending on anything that's not necessary has almost ceased in this house. (Notice I did say almost. I can't be blamed for the occasional yarn purchase. It's cheaper than therapy. lol)

Kath said...

Boy do I hear you, things are so bad and I fear will only get worse. I was wondering if you would be willing to share your pattern for the pot scrubby? I think it's so cute and a wonderful idea. I too have been thinking of the holidays already and will soon compile a list of gifts to knit, sew or craft by hand. I feel they mean more and are a gift from the heart. This too will save lots of $$.

Laura Neal said...

We are eating at home these days and I am so amazed at how much money we are saving! I am knitting away over here making presents for birthdays, and I too am making my Christmas presents early.
I agree with your G-ma about the spending. We should be saving, not creating more debt but, that is what you get when a pack of stupid people are running the country!

Anita said...

Love the scrubbie! I've got plenty of Red Heart, gonna have to find me some patterns too! :)

And I'm gonna have to try the Shake & Bake too, got some pork chops in the freezer right now....

Purdy sock too!