Sunday, October 01, 2006

Like father, like son........ 4 is the magic number


Okay, I'm not here to talk about knitting today. My sons are adults (at least according to the US laws they are considered adults at this age). They came to us 4 months ago and offered to renovate our main bathroom (you know? the one for guests?) They gave this little song and dance about how we gave up so much for them and they wanted to give something back. Oh and it would be finished in 4 weeks! Sounds good. Right? Wrong!


It's been 4 months and the remaining family of 4 (the 2 DD's, 1 DH and ME) who still live here has been sharing one very small bathroom that is off the master bedroom (aka MY bathroom!) And if you've never shared a tiny bathroom with 2 DD's, take it from me........... DON'T DO IT!

We haven't seen the DS's in 4 weeks but they finally arrived this weekend to install the toilet. Good thing 'cos last weekend I accidently walked in on the 20 yr old DD's BF! Talk about embarrassing!

Well as you can see, I have a nice vanity, NO sink! But I have a vanity. The second oldest son is making a granite counter top for the sink. He has been 8 (divisible by 4) weeks on this. Mind you, he does this for a living and supposedly he is very good but don't take my word, I'm only mom and I've been waiting awhile.

The shower door is still in the box however the shower is finally up and flowing. Then the DH (in his infinite wisdom) decided to put up an old shower rod and (now, ahhhem, please take notice) a piece of plastic for a shower curtain! We call this "jerry-rigging".

Mind you, this could be the shower door for quite a while as he is known to procastinate finishing a project. If you notice in the vanity pic above there is no baseboard on the beautiful stone floor. Take it from me, it could be years before that is finished too. There is a small window above the toilet and I suggested a curtain rod only to be told the trim and windowsill need to be added. Surprise, surprise, surprise! mmmmm.......the Mason Dixon Knitting book has a nice knitted curtain. I'm thinking I have plenty of time to order the yarn and knit it if I have to wait on him to finish this window trim! I have found that if I mention selling the house he hops right on these projects and finishes them . I just might have to put that VERY BIG FOR SALE sign in front of the house and I may get this bathroom finished (I won't hold my breath) before the Thanksgiving holidays when I will be preparing dinner for 22 people!


p.s. The eldest son and his new wife just purchased a home. It needs major renovation and the wife (and I do love this girl) anounced today that my son (aka her husband) will not procrastinate on the renovations to be done at their new home. They went to dinner and discussed this in advance. They are also NOT going to argue about renovation, they are going to work together. This is going to strenthen their marriage by working as a team!!!!!!!! HA! I just smiled....... Did I mention they've only been married a year? I won't tell her she might stand a chance getting this done in 4 years if she's lucky............I'll keep you posted on this one.........

Like father like son...................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the tres chic shower curtain, you might just start a trend with that one.
As to the son and his wife working on their house together...not a good thing, they are going to fight like cats and dogs. I know, I speak from experience.
Love the pictures of the stuff they have done so far. Might I suggest you work on the moldings, baseboards, etc so you will have it done before the end of the year because we all know if you wait for a man to do it, you will be waiting forever, so, you might as well learn to do it yourself. Those words were said to me by my Dad. Truer words were never spoken.
Laura