Sunday, December 05, 2010

Willy-nilly

There's a willy-nilly kal happenin' on ravelry and there's a sock on my needles. I had every intention on working on them all day today but somehow I was distracted.

I was plugging along and decided to block/steam the box of knitted gifts. Happily steaming away until.....the iron konked. Now mind you, I am in complete denial on anymore hits in this household and that includes another broken appliance. Unplugging and re-plugging, checking the electric outlet, asking the hubby to check the breaker box etc and it refused (yes 'it' refused) to work. Hitting the iron on the ironing board probably did not help but there wasn't any heat or steam so it didn't matter one way or the other and frustration was in control. Keep in mind this little denial game lasted an hour. In the end the iron was still konked.

So the eldest daughter came to the rescue and said I could use her iron. Just as soon as it could be found in her boxes of stuff. For those who don't know, she just moved back home. An hour later and the 'new' iron was up and running. I became bored with that job so I moved onto the next.
Sewing perked my interest and I wanted to sew some pj pants for gifts. All well and good if I had elastic. This meant a trip to the fabric store. An 1 1/2 hour later and I was home with elastic and lost interest in sewing. That will wait until tomorrow...or the next day.....24 hours have passed and this is the progress of the socks that must be finished, wrapped and under the tree by Dec. 24. *sigh*

Then the hubby decided he wanted to make cinnamon hard tack. Sounds great, doesn't it? Except for some unknown reason the husband who can build a house and repair a car cannot function on his own in the kitchen. Which bag of sugar should he use? Do we have food coloring? Which cookbook has the best recipe? Where's the candy thermometer?

We searched for an hour trying to locate the candy thermometer. Correction. We searched for an hour looking for Mr. Gadget's handy dandy fancy schmancy candy thermometer. Needless to say, I've been (falsely) accused of 'hiding' his thermometer. Now just why would I hide a thermometer? I like candy too you know. So a trip to the market was in order (although they don't sell the fancy schmancy one). We now own the el cheapo one as Mr. Gadget calls it.

The day wasn't a complete bust, I do have some lovely cinnamon hardtack to show ;).

p.s. If you happen to see a couple of elves dressed in handknit sweaters please put them under house arrest and contact me immediately. The little rascals have some gifts to finish over here.

3 comments:

Laura Neal said...

They are missing from my house as well. I have a sock that has to be finished before the 26th and ask me if it is even on the needles...no! I also have to have a poncho completed by December 15th. Where is the time going? If you say fast...then you are correct. Good luck with yours.

Bubblesknits said...

ROTFL You have no idea, but you just described something so familiar. Your hubster not being able to find his fancy schmancy gadget and accusing you of hiding it...yeah, that happens here on a weekly basis. I've "hidden" so many things over the years. lol Dr. Tooth went a whole year accusing my mom of stealing his 1/4 cup measure. It became the family joke. We finally found it when we moved, wedged up in the space between the top of the drawer and the bottom of the counter. ; ) Now when she comes over, I'll look at him and, instead of saying, "Hide the silver!", I say, "Hide your 1/4 cup measure!". LOL

SissySees said...

I am sorry to report that Gretchen busted Dinky and a band of fellow elves in the house next door. Seems they needed ANOTHER get-away... My intrepid crup sent them back to their mistresses, but last night, she was sure someone was in the laundry room...