Friday, March 09, 2007

Snow, Socks, Shawls & Sanity

Okay, another snowstorm hit on Tuesday. Gracing us with 9 inches of fresh, white fluff. The weather guy missed this one. They called for 1-3 inches. The DD was off school, the DH couldn't travel to work as the roads were unpassable and the oldest DD was off work. The DD's danced with joy and the DH reported every 1/2 hour the measured snow amount (as if I cared). He was in and out all day, like his dog. Not that I'm comparing my DH to his dog but keep in mind the DH has large feet and his dog has large paws. They tracked in snow all day long. I, on the other hand, announced I was knitting for the day. Translation? DO. NOT. BOTHER. ME. Unfortunately I failed to translate this to "these people". Snow meant that Bettis (who now weighs in at 42 lbs at the ripe ole age of 14 weeks!) raced, ripped and rolled in the snow by the hour. The youngest DD went out to sled ride. Translation? WET clothing! Translation for all of this? I get to clean!

Mind you, I should be grateful for these 2 children. After all, I have 2 children who live 2 hours away and they are "too busy" to be bothered ! Of course I have been told, "well, if I lived in CA you wouldn't see me." "Yeah well, I have a news flash for you, YOU. DON'T. LIVE IN CA!" What is it with grown children? They have the "busiest lives". Busy is a curious word, isn't it?

I am knitting on a Swallowtail shawl from Fall 2006 issue of Interweave Knits. I am enjoying this one. I enjoy making lace patterns. I think I've found my niche:lace and fair isle. I took this pic on the porch step during the storm.
Socks: I have started more socks and now I must finish a pair in order to have free needles to start more. I am beginning to think I am a process knitter. Meaning, I like to knit. Not necessarily to finish a project but enjoy the process of knitting. Does it matter if I finish? Nope. I love to touch fiber, I love color, I love knitting. Particularly socks. I intend to enjoy life in spite of my children albeit knitting, bird watching etc.

ps They have yet to figure this out. Some day the "lightbulb" just might flicker..........LOL

2 comments:

Laura Neal said...

Don't you just love when you get the floors all nice and clean and you see those muddy paw prints all over it? It drives me insane!
I love the yarn on the side bar, very nice!

Diane said...

I love the yarn you are using for the shawl. So pretty.