Friday, March 16, 2007

Ecstatic.....for a day!

We took the dogs to the "clip and snip" appointment. The vet called on Thursday to confirm the appointment. He told me to be there at 7 am. The oldest DD and I had them there at 6:30 am. (We didn't want to be late........LOL)I felt like I was dropping off 3 toddlers at a day care. center. I was ecstatic! Not that I don't love pets but you have no idea what I go through on a given day with these three. They are 2 yrs, 1 yr and 3 1/2 months. They are a handful. Well, Bettis is NOT a handful, that's for sure he's more like a body full.

Once again Bettis had to be carried/dragged in the vet office.
First the vet tech wanted to weigh him in and she tried to walk him with a leash. He was having none of that. She pulled. She tugged. She pushed. Nothing doing. Bettis, like his namesake, was not to be moved. She finally picked him up and half carried, half dragged him to the scales. She mumbled something about each of his feet weighing 10 lbs each. Bettis weighed 42 lbs 2 weeks ago. He weighed in at 48 1/2 lbs at the ripe ole age of 3 1/2 months?! What was my DH thinking when he got this dog? I'm guessing he wasn't!
Fast Forward: I had a wonderfully peaceful day. I got my hair done, I knitted, I cleaned. All in all the day was wonderful until.......we had to pick them up.
Now, my mind thinks when one has surgery one is tired and hurting. Obviously that is reserved for "people patients" or smart dogs. We left at 6 pm to get the "patients". Gypsy and Molly were looking pretty sad and lethargic. Bettis? He was wagging his tail, slobbering all over us and JUMPING! He's not supposed to JUMP! What was this dog thinking? Oh that's right, his owner is the DH and as I mentioned above, HE wasn't thinking.

The vet told me, he was jumping an hour after surgery and they had to give him a mild sedative (which obviously wore off by the time we arrived). He warned us to be certain to keep them quiet for 10 days. Is this vet for real? Does he really know dogs?Did he operate on Bettis or was it an impostor who operated on him? Did he not just say he had to sedate him after surgery to keep him quiet? Gimmee' a break!

Once again Bettis had to be carried/dragged from the vet hospital. He came in the door and started to......play! This dog just had major surgery and he's playing, jumping and running? The other two just looked at him like he was nuts. He IS !

They go back in 10 days for a post surgery checkup. I would suggest the owner of Bettis teach him to walk on the leash. At the rate he is gaining weight my DD and I will no longer be able to carry/drag him to the vet office.

p.s. I find it convenient that the DH works during vet office hours. p.p.s The knitted dog house is at a stand still until I know the true size of Bettis.

1 comment:

Diane said...

OMG that's going to be one big dog. And yes it is rather odd that your hubby got him even though you didn't want the responsibility and somehow Bettis ends up being just that .... your responsibility.

My son in law wants to get a dog once they move into their house and I told my daughter to only get it if you have the time to take care if it. No matter which family member says they'll take care of everything it's always the mom who ends up with the work.